Day 4: I write about my health because…

Reflect on why you write about your health for 15-20 minutes without stopping.

There have already been volumes written about why people write about their health and why it's helpful to do so. I have personally written volumes about it, and also about blogging about our illnesses.

In 2007 I spoke on a radio program for National Invisible Chronic Illness Awareness Week (NICIAW) titled Blogging About Your Illness. I had so much to say on the subject that I also created a series of blog posts of the same title, divided into Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3.

 In 2010 the folks at NICIAW asked me to re-visit the subject, so I did. This time I called the two part series The Mechanics of Blogging About an Illness: An Update, and Blogging About Illness Update: Why We Do It and What's New About It.

As you can see, I HAVE studied and written volumes about writing and blogging about illness. Scattered throughout are bits and pieces of the answer to today's prompt about why I write about my health. So now I'm going to set the timer and put it all together with whatever else comes out.


 I have always written when I get upset. In my pre-illness days that meant I only wrote when I was unhappy. It's an effective outlet for me that allows me to organize and analyze my thoughts in a productive way that I'm not able to do if the thoughts are just left to whirl around in my mind. 

I guess I started writing on this blog about my illness in 2007 because I wasn't able to work at a "real" job, writing on the blog made me feel like I was doing something worthwhile, and I could do it from my recliner. And it was free!

 I started out blogging with the hope that my friends and family would read my posts and it would open the door to discussion between us about these subjects that I find hard to talk about in person. Hasn't happened. Either my friends and family don't read what I write or they're not interested in talking about it. What has happened is I've got a whole new set of friends that I've mostly only met virtually in the blog world, but who I feel like I know and am close to because we have chronic illness and writing about it in common.

I found from my research for the other posts I've written about writing/blogging about illness that writing is a form of art for me, and art is healing. That's been proven scientifically. So it feels good and that's a big reason why I do it.

Also from previous research I've found that my blog is a quest narrative. Quest narratives are about finding that insight as illness is transformed into a means for the ill person to become someone new. That's where I'm headed now. Hopefully I will write more about where this is going is future posts this month.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marisol Maldonado "comes out" of the autoimmune closet with husband Rob Thomas' hit song & video "Her Diamonds" - check it out; it's way cool

Herniated cervical disc - Oh my!

Nerve Damage on the Vaginal Cuff After Total Hysterectomy