World Diabetes Day and my second appointment at the FFC, Part 1

Great Scott! Charlie Brown, not diabetes too!!!???***###


Peanuts


No, but I might have PRE-diabetes. Dr. Cuddapah at the FFC has prescribed a half-dosage of Metformin for me because my triglycerides are high, my HDL is at the lowest of the acceptable range, I'm overweight and I'm old(er). After doing my follow-up research I see that no one recommends medication on the POSSIBILITY of pre-diabetes. You have to take one of two tests to get a glucose level before you can be properly diagnosed. And of course the medication has it's own side effects which I would just as soon avoid... so I'm going to ask the doc about getting properly diagnosed before starting meds and if I'm not actually pre-diabetic I'll suggest using diet and exercise to control the situation for now. Of course my first course of specially-formulated-for-me Metformin has already been ordered from the FFC's compounding pharmacy, and paid for. Ugh. Why is everything so difficult? Or as two members of my family would ask: Why do I have to be so difficult, why can't I just do what my doctor says like some mindless automaton?

This article gives a nice summary of the situation: Too Few Americans Aware of 'Pre-Diabetes'.

If you are so inspired, please sign the petition to ask Google to light a blue Doodle on World Diabetes Day, November 14 -


Comments

  1. I was pre-diabetic for over 5 years, and no-one suggested medication at that stage. I am now on Metformin 1 tablet per day, and although my sugar is a bit high it is controlled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherril,

    I just signed the petition and I will be posting about World Diabetes Day later this week. (I'm blogging ahead & I already have posts scheduled through Friday now).

    My mom has Type II diabetes.

    Best of luck getting clarification on exactly where you're at...

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. David, the premise behind treating pre-diabetes seems to be that sometimes actual diabetes can be better controlled and even prevented.

    Jeanne, thanks! I guess you already know a lot about the Big D (I used to think that meant Dallas).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Welcome to The ICIE and thank you for commenting!

Note: If you are leaving a comment on this blog in an effort to advertise anything except your own valid topical blog or website, your comment will be marked as spam and will not be posted.

Popular posts from this blog

Marisol Maldonado "comes out" of the autoimmune closet with husband Rob Thomas' hit song & video "Her Diamonds" - check it out; it's way cool

Herniated cervical disc - Oh my!

Nerve Damage on the Vaginal Cuff After Total Hysterectomy