Alexander Technique...?

Frederick Matthias Alexander as a young man


Just started to read about AT and FM on the BeatFibroAndFatigue blog and it sounds interesting. Very interesting. I want to learn more. One of the many things that I want to learn more about and don't have time for right now. It's so easy to stick it in my blog here, where I know I'll stumble over it again (and again) and will follow up on studying it. So although I know some about yoga and some about meditation and some about therapeutic dance, I know nothing whatsoever about the Alexander Technique. But Dr. Mark Shaw, the author of the aforementioned blog, apparently does know quite a bit about it. The link to his site is Part 1. There at least 3 other parts to his article on FM and the AT. So if you want to go ahead and get started studying up on it, be my guest. Maybe you can teach me.

I just goggled AT on ask.com (yeah, we don't all always use google) and it's looking even more interesting for me as the Complete Guide to the AT mentions one of my other major chronic probs, neck/shoulder pain, as a reason to look into the AT.

Of course there are lots of books on the subject. Here's one by the man himself:



Mr. Alexander, circa 1920

Comments

  1. I started studying with an Alexander Teacher this year. Some really interesting things are coming out of these lessons.

    I don't have the time to take a lesson several times a week, or even once a week. But I do go once a month. It does help, if you know about the Technique before the lessons start.

    More than anything else, it gives you a new way to think about your body, and what it goes through.

    I recommend trying it. It's fairly easy to practice on your own. Just make sure, that you don't schedule another treatment on the same day.
    I had a few problems when I started, and scheduled my AT lessons and acupuncture sessions on the same day (just hours apart) and while I felt really good at the end of the day, a crash would come about 3 days later.

    But that is my own fault.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Laura. I'm going to keep looking into it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey the AT has helped me in all sorts of ways, particularly with back pain. Find a good teacher and check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment. I live in a rural area and there are no AT teachers in my area. I'll have to go it alone for now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Welcome to The ICIE and thank you for commenting!

Note: If you are leaving a comment on this blog in an effort to advertise anything except your own valid topical blog or website, your comment will be marked as spam and will not be posted.

Popular posts from this blog

Marisol Maldonado "comes out" of the autoimmune closet with husband Rob Thomas' hit song & video "Her Diamonds" - check it out; it's way cool

Herniated cervical disc - Oh my!

Nerve Damage on the Vaginal Cuff After Total Hysterectomy